Friday, May 14, 2010

First Sewn Dress (for Zoë)

I just noticed the fabric I chose is very similar to the one pictured with the pattern.

The straps are designed to be worn as they appear in the photo below.

But as I was making the dress it was turning out to be too big up top, so I adjusted the pattern for a better fit around the chest but neglected to change the placement of the straps, so they wound up too far out to the sides, and thus fall off the shoulders if worn as intended. (Yes, those are hands full of mud—thank goodness for OxyClean!)

So first I hid the back straps inside the dress and tied the front ones halter-style.

Then I realized I could use all four straps and just cross them in back, which I like better.

Really they should be re-sewn because they are a little goofy, but I don't think I'll go back and make any changes to this dress at this point. Using this pattern as a guide, I've already started on two others that incorporate more changes than just the strap placement.

2 comments:

  1. It turned out great! Zoe looks so cute! I like the criss-crossed straps also.

    ReplyDelete